As BoxingScene.com previously reported, there is trouble in paradise when it comes to finalizing the lightweight unification between WBA, WBO champion Vasiliy Lomachenko and IBF champion Teofimo Lopez.
Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the fight has been pushed back several times.
The most recent date being targeted is October 5, at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
But Lopez is not fully satisfied with the money being presented and he’s already turned down an offer for the fight.
According to Top Rank’s CEO Bob Arum, who promotes both boxers, Lopez is being offered more than double of his highest purse to date.
The problem facing that contest are the various restrictions connected to the pandemic – specifically the inability to have fans in the venue, which in turn removes any live gate revenue.
Arum says Lomachenko has already lowered his financial demands to make the fight a reality, but Lopez is standing firm on getting a bigger purse out of the deal.
The veteran is very firm on his position of not taking a financial loss on the proposed match.
“The contract we offered them is already more than double his highest purse and they starting talking all this crazy stuff,” Arum said to Yahoo Sports. “They were talking numbers based on a $3 million live gate and close circuit. It’s crazy! They’re saying, why should they be affected by the coronavirus?
“Loma has a contract and he’s already given us relief. He’s fighting for less than his contract says because he gets it. I’m not in the business to lose money. If they turn down a record contract for him, nothing I can do. On to the next.”
This article was originally published on www.boxingscene.com