More

    Canelo: Loss To Mayweather Motivated Me To Become P4P Best

    Mexican superstar Saúl “Canelo” Alvarez has yet to finalize his ring return for 2020.

    Canelo has been out of he ring since November of 2019, when he moved up by two weight divisions to score a brutal knockout of Sergey Kovalev to capture the WBO light heavyweight title at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

    Canelo would later vacate the belt, intending to move down in weight to pursue more titles – this time at super middleweight. Canelo captured a secondary title at 168, while capturing full titles at 154, 160 and 175.

    canelo-alvarez_14

    Canelo was slated to return to the ring on September 12, as part of Mexican Independence Day weekend. The date is widely expected to move to a later frame.

    No opponent has been set, although WBA champion Callum Smith is viewed by many as the frontrunner.

    The popular boxer has only one defeat on his record, which came at the hands of Floyd Mayweather Jr. in 2013. 

    Since that loss, Canelo has defeated Erislandy Lara, Daniel Jacobs, Gennady Golovkin, Liam Smith, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and more. 

    In an interview with actor Eugenio Derbez, Canelo acknowledged that his fight with Mayweather was boring and that his one-sided defeat served him as pure motivation to become better and to continue to demonstrate his skills.

    “The only loss I had was with Floyd Mayweather and I still didn’t have the experience to fight in those scenarios and it was a really boring fight. I didn’t take it as a loss, I took it as an apprenticeship and it hurt a lot that night [to taste defeat],” Canelo said.

    “But the next day I said to myself that this is not going to take anything away from my goal of being the best. In boxing, I’m the second Mexican in history who managed to become the best pound for pound [fighter in the world].”

    This article was originally published on www.boxingscene.com

    Related articles

    UFC 253

    View Results

    Loading ... Loading ...

    Latest articles

    UFC 253 preview show

    With UFC 253 just hours away, MMA Fighting’s Mike Heck, Jose Youngs and Alexander K. Lee break down the top storylines. ...

    Conor McGregor reveals Dana White texts regarding pre-COVID-19 plans, says he’s boxing Manny Pacquiao

    Getting busy on social media, Conor McGregor is sharing the receipts from recent conversations with Dana White and also tipping his hand as to...

    Eddie Hearn previews Mexico blockbuster featuring Estrada, Chocolatito and Martinez + more

    Eddie Hearn breaks down October 23's colossal world title triple header in Mexico City! Headlined by P4P great Juan Francisco Estrada defending his WBC Super-Flyweight crown in a rematch with Carlos Cuadras, the card also features Nicaraguan legend Roman 'Chocolatito' Gonzalez, fresh from snatching the WBA title from Kal Yafai earlier this year. Flyweight monster Julio Cesar Martinez defends his WBC strap against Maximino Flores as he charges toward unifying the division.Also featuring hot US prospects Diego Pacheco, Otha Jones III and Ammo Williams, we return to Mexcio with a bang, live on DAZN in the US.Subscribe for updates: www.youtube.com/user/MatchroomBoxing

    Dricus Du Plessis signs with the UFC, meets Markus Perez on Fight Island

    UFC welterweight newcomer Dricus Du Plessis will replace injured Rodolfo Vieira against Markus Perez at the Oct. 10 UFC Fight Night event in Abu...
    Advertisement