Andrey Ryabinsky, promoter for WBC interim-heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin, says full champion Tyson Fury will certainly become a target in 2021.
Povetkin will first face Dillian Whyte in a rematch on November 21.
Last month, the 41-year-old Povetkin pulled off a big upset when he knocked out Whyte in the fifth round at Matchroom’s Fight Camp in Brentwood.
Coming in to that fight, Whyte was the mandatory challenger to Fury’s title – and the mandatory was due by February. All of that went up in smoke with Povetkin’s victory.
Fury has a tentative date of December 19 to make a contracted defense of his title against Deontay Wilder in a trilogy clash.
Povetkin, should he win the rematch with Whyte, would pursue a showdown with Fury in the new year.
“We will work in this direction. The fight for the world title is a big event in the career of any fighter, and with every reason for this, of course we will seek a mandatory defence from the WBC,” Ryabinsky said.
The Russian promoter would love to bring a Fury vs. Povetkin fight to Luzhniki Stadium, an 80,000-seat facility in Russia’s capital city.
“Why not? This is one of the possible locations. If such a fight takes place, it will really become an event in the boxing world, no matter where it takes place: in Russia or in any other country in the world,” Ryabinsky said.
“You know, [Povetkin] has a very simple answer to [his desire to fight Fury]. ‘Champion, you say? Hadn’t lost yet? Does everyone consider him the strongest in the division? Then, of course, I want to box with him!’
“I’ll say it again: Alexander is only happy to box with the strongest opponents.”
This article was originally published on www.boxingscene.com